3/9/10

Sales, Sales, Sales...

I have been busy working on my company. I have been trying to dedicate at least 2 hours every night to work on my own business. It is amazing what can be accomplished in two hours!


For those who are just joining, I'm in the process of starting a staffing company for I.T. professionals. I am currently envisioning a company that does two things:

1) Provide a self-serve job posting site for professionals and companies. The model is very similar to Monster.com, but at a much better price point to attract smaller businesses who do not have the resources to use a costly site like Monster.

2) A full-service staffing recruiting company that will search, screen, and on-board candidates for companies. This model is more similar to a standard I.T. consulting/staffing company.

As the title of this post says: Sales, Sales, Sales. For me, this is one of the most difficult parts of the business. Once I can get in front of people, I'm ok... but doing the cold calls and lead generation is difficult for me. Knowing sales is the difficult part for me is forcing me to think about it more. As a start-up business, people have no idea who you are and no idea what you do. I need to introduce people to my company.

In some ways, it is a lot like meeting new people around the neighborhood. Chances are you will chat up the outgoing people who make an effort to say 'Hi' as they walk down the street. If you find common interests, then you may have a chance of creating friends instead of just acquaintances. In any case, you want to put your best foot forward.

For me, sales have been on my mind, but I'm not sure I'm quite ready to meet new people. I'm still working on the name of the company, the company logo, the web site, etc., etc. Once I have these things in place, I think I will feel a little more comfortable with meeting new people.

No comments:

Post a Comment