3/2/10

Doing the mundane...

I have been busy at my day job, so I have not had much time to work on the new business. To catch everyone up, I am in the process of starting a staffing company. It really has two components, one self-serve and one full-service. The self-serve portion of the business will be an on-line job posting and resume search web site. The full-service portion will extend the self-service business by offering additional resources to help find qualified candidates and perform pre-employment screening.

I have been working with Qwest to set up my internet properly. Normally, I have had great success with Qwest in the past, but this time they dropped the ball. The issues are all resolved now, but jeesh, if that is your primary business (and in this case, it probably is) you should do it really, really well.

I spent last weekend doing two things. First, I had to get the books for the business in order. They have been neglected too long and it took me awhile to resolve the accounting and bookkeeping mistakes. Second, I had to set up the servers I am going to use in this business. It ends up being a lot of work with almost nothing to show for it.

My next task, and a fairly daunting one at that, is to build the web site for the business. Since I am going to be starting an on-line company, I need to at least get something up and running to let people know what I am doing. This first pass at the web site will not contain the job posting application. I'm just shooting for a simple site to let people know who I am and what I am doing. I'll work on the main application soon enough.

With this initial site, I will start establishing a brand. Building a site is easy work for me. What I find difficult is creating a brand. I need logos, letterhead, themes, a story about the company, business cards, etc. etc. All this stuff I currently take for granted because it is usually provided to me in a nice format. This time I need to make it all up from scratch. If anyone has any ideas, please feel free to share.

Back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment